Movies Shot in Berlin
Films Made in Germany
Berlin - Potsdam - Babelsberg
Berlin and Potsdam as Popular Filming LocationsHere's a list of motion pictures filmed in and around Berlin and Potsdam. This collection includes films that were shot in part or entirely on location in Berlin. For the German films listed, we have also included some classic films that were filmed at the Babelsberg studios near Potsdam during the silent era (e.g., Fritz Lang's Metropolis, labeled "UFA"). A few British/Hollywood films that were set in Berlin but not actually shot there (e.g., The Spy Who Came in from the Cold) are also listed.
Films Shot in Berlin
Hollywood and English-language Films Shot in Berlin
- Æon Flux (2005)
- Around the World in 80 Days (2004) Berlin (Charlottenberg Palace and grounds) stands in for Paris!
- Beyond the Sea (2004) Kevin Spacy as Bobby Darren (Babelsberg Studios)
- The Bourne Supremacy, The (2004) Matt Damon as Jason Bourne in Berlin, with Franka Potente, who also starred in The Bourne Identity.
- Cabaret (1972) Set in 1920s Berlin; actually shot in part in West Berlin and West Germany (Munich, Schleswig-Holstein).
- Constant Gardener, The (2005) Shot in Berlin, London, Africa, and Canada.
- Enemy at the Gates (2001) This British/Hollywood film was shot at the Babelsberg Studios.
- Equilibrium (2002) Sci-fi film shot mostly in Berlin
- Funeral in Berlin (1966)
- Joe and Max (2002, TV) The story of boxers Joe Louis and Max Schmeling.
- Mission Impossible III (2006) - Production work only
- Night Crossing (1981)
- Pianist, The (2002)
- Quiller Memorandum, The (1966) with Alec Guiness and George Segal
- Ripley's Game (2002) Production work
- Shining Through (1992) Set in Nazi Germany, this spy drama starring Melanie Griffith was filmed in Austria, Germany, and England.
- Spy Game (2001) This international production with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford was shot all over the world (England, Israel, Morocco, Canada...) with some production work in Berlin.
- Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The (1965) This Richard Burton film set in Berlin was actually filmed in England and Ireland.
- Torn Curtain (1966) This Hitchcock spy thriller was set in East Berlin, but filmed in Hollywood, Denmark, and West Germany.
- V for Vendetta (2005) Filmed in London and at the Babelsberg Studios.
WEB > Studio Babelsberg (Deutsch or English)
Notable German Films Shot in Berlin and Babelsberg
- Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) An epic film by Fassbinder based on the Döblin novel.
- Berlin - Sinfonie einer Großstadt (1927)
- Blaue Engel, Der / Blue Angel, The (1930, UFA) with Marlene Dietrich. Filmed in both English and German, the German version is considered superior.
- Good-Bye Lenin! (2003) This tragicomedy about recreating the vanished DDR was filmed in Berlin's eastern half.
- Lola rennt (1999, Run Lola Run) featured Berlin locations to wonderful effect.
- M (1931, UFA) Directed by Fritz Lang, stars Peter Lorre
- Menschen am Sonntag (1930) Early cinema verité in Berlin
- Metropolis (1927, UFA)
- Mörder sind unter uns, Die / Murderers Are Among Us, The (1946, UFA) A highly rated post-war film starring Hildegard Knef.
- Wings of Desire (1982), directed by Wim Wenders
WEB > Ufa, Berlin, Babelsberg (German-Hollywood Connection)
Some Related Web Sites
- Berlin Brandenburg Film Commission
- IMDb - You can search the Internet Movie Database for movie locations.
- Studio Babelsberg (Deutsch or English)
German Movies - Related Pages
The Best Films for German-Learners: English
A selection of Hollywood and other films in English suitable for the German classroom.
German Movies: Introduction
The jumping-off place for all of our film-related pages and resources for German-language films.
An article aimed at students and teachers of German.
About DVD region codes, German DVDs, changing your computer's DVD region setting, and more.
More about videos for German, from your Guide.
Subscribe to a free newsletter!
| German Forum 1
|| Deutsches Forum 2|