1. Education
Send to a Friend via Email

Tierlexikon: Fischarten
English-German Glossary: Fish and Marine Animals
Fisch1

You are here: Glossaries > Tierlexikon > Fish & Marine Animals

There are an estimated 23,000 varieties of fish, of which about 40% live in the salt water (Salzwasser) of the world's oceans and seas. The other 60% are fresh-water (Süsswasser) varieties. (Only a few types of fish—eel, salmon—can live in both fresh and salt water.) We don't list all 23,000 Fischarten here in our Lexikon, but you'll find most of the common fish and marine animals. This annotated English-German Lexikon is in alphabetical order, by English name. Also see the German-English version.

Kinds of Fish • Fischarten
Annotated English-German Glossary
ENGLISH DEUTSCH Latein - Latin
abalone das Seeohr Haliotis tuberculata
albacore der weiße Thun Thunnus alalunga
anchovy die Anschovis (-)
die Sardelle (-n)
Engraulidae
anemone (fish),
sea anemone
die Seeanemone (-n) Amphiprion percula
barbel die Barbe Barbus barbus
barracuda der Barrakuda (-s) Thyrsites atun
bass der Barsch Perca fluviatilis
bleak die Laube
die Ukelei
Alburnus alburnus
bream die Brachse
Blei, Brasse, Breitling
Abramis brama
brook trout
brook char
die Bachforelle/
der Bachsaibling
Salvelinus fontinalis
bullhead
Miller's thumb
die Groppe/Koppe Cottus gobio
carp der Karpfen Cyprinus carpio
catfish der Wels Siluris glanis
char (type of trout) der Saibling Salvelinus
chub (European) der Döbel/Aitel
der Schneider
Leuciscus cephalus
Alburnoides bipunctatus
cowfish der Kuhfisch (-e), Kofferfisch Lactophrys quadricornis
crayfish, crawfish der Flusskrebs Astacus astacus/Orconectes virilis
crucian carp die Karausche
(similar to ) der Giebel
Carassius carassius
Carassius auratus gibelio
cod, Atlantic cod der Kabeljau
der Dorsch
Gadus morhua
crab
  edible crab
die Krabbe (-n)
  der Taschenkrebs (-e)
Brachyura
Cancridae
family
crustacean der Krebs (-e) Crustacea/Krebstiere order
cuttlefish die Sepia Sepia officinalis
dab (flounder) die Kliesche (-n) Limanda limanda
dogfish der Katzenhai (-e) Squalis acanthias
dolphin der Delfin (-e)
der Delphin (-e)
Coryphaena hippurus
  NOTE: Don't confuse the dolphin fish (Coryphaena hippurus) with the mammalian dolphin or porpoise.
eel der Aal Anguilla anguilla
flounder, plaice die Flunder
der Butt
Paralichthys albigutta
Platichthys flesus
flying fish der fliegende Fisch Exocoetus volitans
fork beard der Gabeldorsch Phycis phycis
gar, garfish,
garpike
der Hornhecht Belone belone
goldfish der Goldfisch Cyprinus auratis
grayling die Äsche Thymallus thymallus
grouper der Zackenbarsch Epinephelus guaza
gudgeon der Gründling (-e) Gobio gobio
guppy der Guppy Poecilia reticulatus
haddock
  smoked haddock
der Schellfisch (-e)
  der Haddock
Melanogrammus aeglefinus
halibut der Heilbutt
der Goldbutt
die Scholle
Hippoglossus hippoglossus
herring der Hering Clupea harengus
jellyfish

blue jellyfish
comb jellyfish
lion's mane jellyfish
Portuguese man-of-war
die Qualle

Blaue Feuerqualle
Rippenqualle
Gelbe Haarqualle
Seeblase
(Portugiesische Galeere)
Ctenophora

Cyanea lamarcki
Pleurobrachia pileus
Cynea capillata
Physalis physalis
lamprey das Neunauge
das Bachneunauge
das Flussneunauge
Geotria australis
Lampreta planeri
Lampreta fluviatilis
large scaled scorpionfish der große Drachenkopf Scorpaena scrofa
leech der Egel/Blutegel (-) Hirudo medicinalis
lobster der Hummer (-) Homaridae
mackerel die Makrele Scomber scombrus
minnow die Elritze (-n)
Pfrille, Maipiere
Phoxinus phoxinus
mullet
  grey mullet
  red mullet
  striped mullet
die Barbe
  Meeräsche
  Meerbarbe
  Gestreifte Meerbarbe
Mullus
Mullus surmuletus
  NEXT > Part 2: N-Z

  Also see the English-German Fischteile (Fish Parts) glossary!
  MORE: > Fischlexikon: German-English
  Also see the English-German Tiergeräusche (Animal Sounds) glossary!
  BACK: TIERLEXIKON - Back to animal glossary.

NEXT > Part 2: N-Z
MORE > Fischlexikon: German-English
MORE > Tierlexikon 1, 2, 3, 4, Tier-Links
MORE > All Glossaries

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.