Word Frequency in German - Worthäufigkeit
The Top 1,000 German Words
Words Most Likely to Be Encountered in an Average German Text
German Word Frequency: Part 1 (1-100)
For an introduction to this list, see The German Top 1,000 and the comments below.
Also see our Top 100 Basic German Words (edited, ranked).
|Top 1,000 Words in German
Computer analysis of word frequency
with single word variations
| Click on any linked word for related grammar/info.
*dass (ss) is word 261
**der Euro was put into circulation in Jan. 2002, so "Mark" (Deutsche Mark, DM) is probably less frequent now. See: Der Euro kommt
|NEXT 100 > Words 101-200|
|Source: Projekt Wortschatz - Universität Leipzig
Stand vom 8. Jan. 2001
A few observations about this list:
- In the first 100 words, there are only five nouns, all of which have to do with money/figures or dates/time (Prozent, Mark, Uhr, Jahr/Jahren, Millionen), probably reflecting news content.
- Since several simple past tense forms (Imperfekt, war, wurde, sagte) appear in the top 100, it might be better to introduce the past tense earlier in German instruction/learning.
- A similar analysis of conversational German, as opposed to German in print, would yield very different results. However, reading is a very important language skill.
- Zipf's Law seems to hold true: There is an inverse relationship between the length of a word and its frequency. (The most frequent words are monosyllabic. The longer the word, the less it's used, and vice versa.)
- This list includes a lot of duplicates because it considers various spellings and capitalization of the same word to be different words. For a list that eliminates such duplicates, see the Top 100 Basic German Words (edited, ranked).
The German Top 1,000
The introduction to this word-frequency list.
Top 100 Basic Words
What are the top 100 German words a student should know? Here is an edited, ranked list of the most frequent German words.
German Words of the Year
The top ten Wörter des Jahres for 1998, 1999 and 2000, as chosen by Germany's Gesellschaft für deutsche Sprache.
Top 20 German Verbs
The 20 most frequently encountered verbs in German.
English-German glossaries on a variety of topics.
Wort des Tages
What's today's German word of the day?
Subscribe to a free newsletter!
OUR GERMAN FORUMS